The Saskatoon Musicians’ Association was chartered on October 31, 1910 as Local 553 of the American Federation of Musicians. Our professional members performed music for the movies of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton during the silent movie era of the teens and 20s. Along the more than 100 year history of Local 553 we been home to talented artists such as: Kenny Shields, The Northern Pikes, Wide Mouth Mason, Brian Plummer, jazz music guitar icon Gordie Brandt, mainstay Canadian folk artists Humphrey and the Dumptrucks, Don Freed, The Deep Dark Woods, and Kacy & Clayton. Our current membership ranges from the members of the Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra to The Sheepdogs, and just about every recording artist from every musical genre in between.
- The A.F.M. /C.F.M. are the only organizations recognized by the governments in Canada and the U.S.A. that negotiates rates and conditions with the broadcast, recording, and other music-related industries.
- Broadcast royalty scale rates, Recorded music and Theatrical scale rates make up just a few of the major categories negotiated.
- Another key function of the Federation, is to lobby the government for positive changes to the workplace and industry. Recent examples include improvements in copyright legislation, and fair rates for musician visas when performing in the U.S.A.
The Saskatoon Musicians’ Association Executive Board
- Skip Kutz – President
- Ross Nyiforuk – Vice President
- Lloyd Tomczak – Sgt. at Arms
- Simon Fanner – Executive Board
- Joel Grundahl – Executive Board
- Randy Woods – Executive Board
- W. J. Rutherford – Secretary / Treasurer
First and foremost, your membership in the American / Canadian Federation of Musicians means that you consider yourself a professional. The AFM/CFM currently has nearly 100,000 members in North America including recording artists from a wide variety of genres from: Bruce Springsteen to Diana Kroll, Justin Bieber and Dolly Parton. Recent losses to the music world included AFM/CFM life members Merle Haggard, Prince, and Leonard Cohen.
- Collective Bargained Agreements with: SaskTel Max, Saskatchewan Jazz Society, Saskatchewan Symphony Society, Saskatoon Opera Association, Kinsmen Telemiracle, the C.B.C., the N.F.B., T.V.O., the Juno Awards, the CCMA Awards, the ECMA Awards, and many more.
- Superb pension plan
- Federation Contracts – advice and support
- P2 Performer Visa assistance for gigs in the U.S.A.
- Performer Recording – Special Payment Fund
- Music Performance Trust Fund
- Road Gig Assistance
- Local 553 Musician Referral Service
- C.F.M. Entertainment booking service
- Local 553 Guaranteed Contract Fund
- Monthly subscription to A.F.M. trade magazine the International Musician
〉 Step 1: To join please complete the ‘fillable ‘ NEW MEMBER APPLICATION and email it to Local 553 [ firstname.lastname@example.org ].
〉 Step 2: We will respond within the next business day with directions on completing the membership process.
If an entire band joins the Local 553 / Federation initiation fees of $95 per/ musician will be waived. Should you require any further information please contact the Saskatoon Musicians’ Association during office hours Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Telephone: (306) 477-2506. Email: email@example.com